Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Pumpkins! Pumpkins!

I'm BACK!!! My goal this year was to post once a week and I have not made that goal. It has been a busy first quarter plus my hard drive failed and I lost everything on my computer:( However, I finally got my computer fixed and am back to blogging.

A few weeks into the start of school I was surprised with a smart board entering my room. I have been busy trying to learn the software and create lessons. I am super excited! I have to say at first I was not. I didn't want to have to learn another new technology and felt overwhelmed at the beginning of the year. I am happy to say now I enjoy using the smart board and my students LOVE it.

Every year at Thanksgiving my school has a Thanksgiving lunch on the last day before break. We all eat in the gym and I am responsible for the table decorations. This year the students are making pumpkins out of paper lunch bags and painted paper. I think they turned out beautiful.



3 comments:

  1. Can you share the steps you used to create these?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen,

    First I had students paint the paper (9x12). One side at a time. Then I cut them into strips. After that the strips get 3 hole punches. One in the middle and on the ends. I didn't measure, really just eyeballed it.
    Connecting ----
    I first tried brass fasteners but what I found worked the best to create the pumpkin shape is a pipe cleaner. First fold pipe cleaner in half. Place 8 or more strips onto pipe cleaner (middle hole in strips). Make sure that the open end of the pipe cleaner is the bottom. At the bottom you will spread out the two ends of the pipe cleaner to secure the bottom. Then start placing the ends of the strips onto the top of the pipe cleaner. You will adjust how much you push the strips down according to how you'd like it to look.

    Students cut out leaves and I hot glued the leaves to the top of the pumpkin.Green strips were cut and curled with scissors for the stem. I just placed the strips over the top of the pipe cleaner. I also cut skinny strips to act as the vines.

    I hope I broke it down enough so you could visualize it. Let me know if you have any questions.

    Oh and PS....I am using your Instagram idea! Love it!

    ReplyDelete